Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cameron James Richard Philip TIGER Hand

This past week Cameron and Kelsie went to Golf Camp at the Lanier Golf Course. Kelsie wasn't very excited about going, in fact, she complained that she didn't want to go. I was adamant that she go because she is a natural golfer - she really is. I'm very thankful we "forced" her to go because she had a great time. The golf pro and his assistant were very impressed with Kelsie's skills. They said she could play on the high school team right now. I think it was because of this encouragement and because she did so well that she had such a great time and was thankful she went (although I don't think she would admit it).

Cameron's golf week started off slow and he was a little discouraged but by the end of the week he had improved so much he was having a great time. It feels great to receive texts and calls from your kids telling you how good they did at something new (or newish) they are trying.

Since they had a great time I promised them I would take them to play golf over the weekend. Kelsie couldn't go because she had an Equestrian Team Party. So Cam and I went...before I go on let me tell you a quick Kelsie golfing story....

When Kelsie was 11 and 12 she played in a golf league in St. Louis and I saw her golf skills - she was outstanding! I loved watching her out drive the boys on her team - it drove the boys crazy when a girl showed them up (which made it even more fun). I was Kelsie's caddy during her games and so I had the privilege of watching her golf skills up close. My favorite story about Kelsie's golfing prowess took place on the 8th hole at Eagle Springs Golf Course in 2006. Kelsie had just parred the 8th hole and we walked to the T-Box on the 9th hole; we had to wait for the foursome in front of us to finish teeing off. While we were waiting I turned to Kelsie and said, "If you chip a ball in the hole I'll give you $100." I was talking about the 8th hole - hole. The hole was about 60 feet away and I KNEW she wouldn't get it in - nobody chips the ball in from 70 feet away. She had only been playing golf for 2 years and so I thought it was impossible for her to chip the ball in from 80 feet. She turned to me and said, "Are you serious. You'll give me $100 if I get the ball in the hole?" I said yes and a second later Kelsie dropped a ball on the ground, took a half back swing and from 90 feet away she dropped the ball 10 feet from the hole and I watched it trickle in the hole - it was amazing! Since I was serious when I made the bet I felt obligated to keep my word and so I gave her the $100 - not right away but eventually I gave her the $100.

So today I took Cameron to Riverpines Golf Course. Now, keep in mind I just heard about how well they both did at camp - I hadn't seen their new golf skills. Also, you know that when you're told how good your kids did you can expect there to be a little exaggeration - or at least that is what I assumed. So when Cameron and I stepped up to the first hole to tee off I assumed I would notice some improvement but my expectations weren't too, too high. I got up there first and hit the ball about 10 feet away from the hole (I had to put that in there). Then Cameron got up there took his back swing, hit the ball, followed through, and I watched the ball fly high in the air, straight as an arrow, and it plopped right on the green about 20 feet away from the hole. IT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SWING I HAD EVER SEEN! I WAS SO IMPRESSED! It was amazing to see him look so professional! His picture perfect swings and his deadly accurate shots continued the whole day! He shot a 40! It was amazing!!!! I know I sometimes exaggerate on this blog (I can't remember when but I'm sure I have)...but this is NO EXAGGERATION...I AM VERY PROUD OF HIM...

I'm looking forward to playing with Kelsie...if she improves like Cameron did...she'll be the next Anikka Soremstam and I'm on easy street!!!

Here's a picture of Cameron's swing...



Here's a video of Cameron hitting the ball about 120 yards onto the green...check out his form!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cameron,
Nice shot. You need a haircut!
Aunt Gena

your mother said...

Cam, you look like a pro. Those shoes, that glove, that follow-thru and holding it! Beautiful! I agree with Aunt Gena, though, you do need a haircut.

Anonymous said...

Bronx Aunt Gena likes your swing Cam. Golf is a great sport for both of you to take up.

Anonymous said...

Ceron, you ain't got no game. My money is on Kelsie! Uncle Philip

Anonymous said...

Cameron, Maybe someday you'll get a hole in one like Grandpa Collins!

Anonymous said...

Cameron already has 20 holes in one - holes in his socks and underwear :). Kelsie

Anonymous said...

Cameron,
You need to be more confident. You seem to have a low opinion of yourself - NOT!
Gabby

Anonymous said...

I know very little about golf, Cam, but you look great to me. Yes, I predict you'll outdo Tiger.
G'ma C.